14 UX Tips to Increase Your Website Lead Conversions
The experience a user has on your website directly relates to conversion rates. If you offer a good UX, consumers will revisit it and even recommend it to others. This leads to more engagement. In turn, increased engagement will lead to an increase in conversions.
There are several ways to enhance the user experience on a site. Whether your site has been around a while or is brand new here are some great ways to better the UX and increase your conversion rate.
1. Great homepage: this is the page where most users first access your site. It will offer the best UX if it is simple and does not contain too much information. Anything important on the page should be above the fold. Don’t forget to include your logo and connect the other pages to the homepage. Part of your focus should be on making the page easy to read as users find large paragraphs of texts intimidating. Try breaking up your text into shorter sentences and paragraphs, use bullet points and subheads.
2. Limit distractions: review your pages and get rid of anything that isn’t necessary or distracts from your call to action. Keeping a simple and clean look will help your conversion rate. Each page should have a purpose, a specific reason. You could have a page for each product, a contact page, etc. Try not to overwhelm the user with too much information on one page or they will miss your call to action. As well, by not crowding your pages with loads of information a customer’s eye can be drawn to the essential elements of the page. It also adds a feeling of clarity.
3. State your purpose: be clear on what you offer to the customer. This should be the main point that your website revolves around. What is your businesses motto, mission or slogan? This is what needs to be front and center on the website.
4. Loading speed: Keep the load speed to within three or four seconds or your users will get bored and leave. Remember that if they leave they are not coming back. One study has shown that even two seconds can mean a loss of up to 87 per cent of users. You can try design the page to load in stages so that a user can anticipate what elements will be coming as they wait. This can prevent them tiring of the wait and leaving the page. However, it is still important to get the load time under four seconds.
5. Consistency: using the same type, color, images, etc. will be key to your branding. Ensure that each page keeps these principal elements the same. This includes color. Use the same color hue for content that is similar and don’t overwhelm the user with too much color. For example, you can have specific colors for the about me button and the blog button but keep the color of the call to action buttons the same, even if the text changes.
6. Be responsive: there are a variety of devices being used to access the web it is important that your site can accommodate them. You should test the site on different devices to see how easy it is to navigate. There is also a way to vary the user experience based on their perceived age thanks to metadata. This helps you speak to different age groups about your products or services and makes it relevant to their needs.
7. Small steps: the best websites allow users to get the information they need in the fewest number of clicks. Any extra elements, like pop ups, will add to the number of steps that a user needs to take to access the information. When you test your site, see how many steps it takes for them to follow through with your call to action. See if any of them can be removed.
This also applies to the amount of information you are asking the customer to enter into forms. Forms should be simple and concise.
8. Use a clear call to action: incorporate design elements that make it clear to the customer what action you would like them to take. This can include contrasting the colors of the call to action and the page’s background color and to be clear with the text that prompts the call to action. Instead of using a vague term like ‘next’ or ‘continue’, use something that makes it clear to the consumer what will happen if they click like ‘buy now’ or ‘shop’.
Don’t forget that your call to action is important and should be placed above the fold. You can make it extra attractive on the page by using simple animations but again don’t overdo it.
9. Make it visual: images and video are a great engagement tool for users. Consider making a video that goes in-depth on a certain product to give customers a better idea of what you have to offer. You may also want to add customer testimonials as they add credibility to your company.
10. Be searchable: users who cannot quickly locate what they are looking for on your website will get frustrated and move on – likely to your competitor’s page. Adding a search feature can eliminate this problem. You may also want to add a filter feature so users can refine their search and locate the appropriate products.
11. Contact details: always be sure that your company name, address, phone number and email address is located on your contact page.
12. Eliminate broken links: when a customer hits a dead-end on your website they get frustrated and will often abandon your site. While it may be time consuming to find and fix any outdated links it is worth it. You can use google webmaster tools to make the task easier. Remember that you don’t need to delete the link but rather can redirect it to a live page on your site.
13. Use a bot: by engaging a user with a bot – artificial intelligence that opens up a chat with the user – you are more likely to gain sales. This is a terrific way to boost sales 24-7 with little effort as the bot can always be ready to engage a new user no matter what time of day they visit your site.
14. Value at the checkout: this is an appropriate time to offer the customer something of value without asking for something in return. For example, consider offering free shipping or a coupon code. This will ensure that they feel you offer them an enjoyable experience and you value their business.
You can also offer bundles or cross-sales during the checkout process. By adding it at this point in their engagement with your website you increase your chances of making more sales.
There are many small ways to improve the experience a user has on your website. By improving the overall look and engagement on your site you are increasing your chances of having higher conversion rates.
While creativity in website design is important, at the end of the day if your design does not result in conversions then it is not doing its job.
Maxiom Technology stays ahead of the game by keeping up with all technology, design and commerce trends to ensure a unique and dynamic web experiences for your customers. Request your FREE, no-strings-attached consultation.